What’s the issue?
Is electronics product development complex?
I am afraid that it is, but that doesn’t mean that it has to be a smoke and mirrors exercise. If the process your developer uses is sound you should have a good feel for the following at all times:
- Where you are in the process
- Where you are going next
- Where the ultimate goal is
- Milestones and risks along the route
- A no shocks policy from all parties – technical and commercial hurdles should be communicated as soon as known, not just when imminent.
- A less than 24 hour response if you need to ask questions to clarify any of the above
- An at least weekly review meeting between stakeholders
- A vision of the milestones and what they mean, which is what this article is about
What’s the EM’s electronics development journey in brief?
- Design (hardware/firmware/software)
- Prototype manufacture
- Prototype test
- Approvals test
- Pre-production manufacture
- Beta testing